Dubrovnik – Republic of Ragusa (Croatia) – Tourist in History


We are on the Dalmatian coast and approach
Dubrovnik coming from the south (Budva) Dubrovnik – Republic of Ragusa,
a wonder of the history To the left Lokrum Island and
then the walled-town Dubrovnik We see the high walls, at the corners with forts,
and inside it stands out the towers of the churches The fortress-town was formed in the 12th century
by uniting the Slavs continental part (right) with the island on the left, with Roman population,
by filling the isthmus between them with stone We are to the west of the fortress, at the main entrance
through the Pile Gate (door, in Greek) dating from 1537 To our right is St. Lawrence (Lovrijenac) Fort The present-day stone bridge also
had a drawbridge, lifted every evening The statues of Saint Blaise (Sveti Vlaho),
the patron and protector of the town Pile Gate is a double gate
(successive defense) On the wall are set tourist maps and with
the bombings of the civil war (1991-1992) In front of us opens Stradun (street),
or Placa, the main artery that crosses
the town from east to west We see Onofrio’s Great Fountain, built
in 1438 as a public source of water brought
by an aqueduct from over 12km (7 miles) On the left side of Stradun we see the tower
and the Franciscan Church, and next to us,
the Church of St. Savior The church, built in 1520, is among the
few buildings that have survived
the devastating earthquake of 1667 The water in Onofrio’s Great Fountain
(della Cava, Neapolitan architect) flows
through the mouths of 16 mascaroni Apart from St. Blaise, the spiritual guardian,
the fortress was protected by these walls
considered impregnables The walls were built in the 12-17th centuries,
have a length of 1.2 miles (1931 m) and reach
82 feet (25 m) high For luck in love it is advisable to manage to pull off
your shirt while you balance on the head of the mascaroni,
facing to the wall of the Franciscan Church As we see, the problem of luck in love is very important Among the Franciscan and Savior churches is
the oldest (1317) active pharmacy in the world,
also mentioned by the German guide (Apotheke) A contemporary living statue Except for the Pieta we see above the entrance portal,
practically the entire Franciscan Church was destroyed at the earthquake of 1667 As I said, Stradun marks exactly the old isthmus
that separates the continent (left, north) with the Slavic town Dubrava (oak) from
the Island (locality) Laus (right, south)
inhabited by a Roman population To the left (north, mountain), at the end
of the Rudjer Bošković “street”, is the much newer Buža (hole) Gate,
made in 1907 for the Austrian army Stradun is the busiest place in the city,
but it also offers the most monuments At this point you can hear the bell
of the Bell Tower, visible in the back Between the Slavic (Nordic) and Roman (Southern)
parts of the town there were permanent animosities However, this state, extended on a small area and having
only a few tens of thousands of inhabitants (of which about 5,000 in this fortress-town) was a historical miracle
between 1358 (the abolition of Venetian rule and the establishment of the Republic of Ragusa) until 1806 when
it came under French occupation and then under Habsburg rule And not only it deal with great hegemonic interests in
the Dalmatian area, but it was a flourishing economic state and a promoter of modernity,
although democracy was not its strong point Talking to myself, we arrived at
the Bell Tower in Luža Square Near the Tower we see the City Hall, the Rector’s
Palace, the Cathedral (in the back) and the
Church of St. Blaise, under renovation The Tower indicates the time (circular dial and
Roman numerals), as well as the phases of the Moon To its left is the Fish Market Gate
and then the Sponza Palace Built in the 16th century, it withstood the earthquake
of 1667, hosted government offices, customs, then had a
cultural destination, and now houses the National Archive To the right of the Tower is the Small Onofrio Fountain
(1438) located at the other end of Stradun The sculptures are made by the Milanese
artist Pietro di Martino We see again Sponza Palace which also has a museum Next is the Statue of Orlando (or Roland, 1418,
symbol of freedom), covered, then the Church
of St. Blaise (Vlaho) behind The video operator was in a hurry, but this church
built in the 18th century is particularly important The image focuses on the Cathedral of the town The beautiful portico belongs to the Rector’s Palace
(the head of state), 1463, now hosting the City Museum It follows the Marin Držić Theater (1865) and the
Town Hall (1882), after which we recognize the Bell
Tower and the Sponza Palace To the left, the Church of St. Blaise, 1715, baroque
style, St. Blaise being the one who in 948 saved the
town from the attack of the Venetians The Bel Tower has 102 feet (31 m) dating from 1444,
rebuilt in 1929; The 2 ton bell, cast in 1506, is
hit every half hour by “2 green men” In Old Town Dubrovnik and surrounding area
there are about 20 locations where scenes from
the famous Game of Thrones series were filmed The Assumption of the Virgin Mary Cathedral was built
in the 18th century on the place of previous cathedrals About the previous one (the 12-17th centuries) destroyed
in the earthquake of 1667, it is said that it was founded by Richard the Lionheart, the king of England, as a thank
you for escaping the shipwreck of 1192 on Lokrum Island The baroque cathedral houses a famous Treasury
containing and the relics of Saint Blaise The Palace of the Rector (the head of state) was also the seat
of the “government” and the councils of the Republic of Ragusa Originally built in the early 15th century in Gothic style
by Onofrio di Giordano della Cava (the one with the fountains), the palace was to be restored with Renaissance
and Baroque elements following the explosion of
the Gunpowder and earthquakes From the Cathedral we head towards the
Old Port located east of the town For this we will pass through
the Ponta (wharf) Gate built in 1476 We see the Dulcic-Masle-Pulitika Gallery,
the Ponta Gate and the Rector’s Palace (left) The Ponta Gate that we leave behind is one
of the four gates of the medieval fortress The port was built in the 15th century
and has not changed much since then The right (south) part of the port is
defended by St. John’s Fort (pictured) The northern part of the port, in image,
is defended by Revelin Fort (1549) Currently, the Old Port has a tourist destination In the back we see the tower of the Dominican
Monastery, and to the left the 3 arches of
the Grand Arsenal where ships were built Tickets for boats, and in the rear,
the St. John Fort We passed the 3 arches of the Grand Arsenal
and we are in the former Fish Market The Fish Market Gate, built in 1387 has above the usual
statue of St. Blaise, the guardian of the fortress We enter the Fortress again, to the right being
the Dominican Monastery, but we go to the left and exit at Stradun, Luža Square, between Bell Tower
(left) and Sponza Palace (right). We return in front of the Cathedral and now we go in
the opposite direction, towards the west, inside fortress Behind the Cathedral is Gundulić Square,
the oldest in the town, formed on the former
houses destroyed by the earthquake of 1667 It is an agro-food market, now a tourist
favorite one, where lavender is very popular Ivan Gundulić (1589-1638) was a great poet in
the Baroque period of Dubrovnik and a politician His statue, erected in 1893, has on its
pedestal scenes from his famous poem, Osman In one corner of the market is the Amerling
Fountain, bearing the name of the donor From Gundulić Square (with the Rector’s Palace in
the background) we head towards the maze of streets As I said, the Republic of Ragusa (or
Dubrovačka Republika) was a historical
miracle that existed between 1358 and 1808 The leaders of the Republic have shown political ability,
and the walls of the fortress have imposed respect The city was ruled by two councils
with hereditary inheritance, and the head of state (the Rector) was
elected every month from among them Serbian orthodox Church of the Holy Annunciation, 1877 The society was divided into three classes, and
marriage between classes was strictly forbidden The prosperity and brilliance of the town is also
based on a liberal government, the Republic of Ragusa through laws, constructions, politics being an
example of modernity (abolished slavery in 1418, etc.). The richness of the Republic was primarily due to
trade at sea, with Ragusa having an impressive fleet Ragusa was a neutral country, its vessels
having access to many seas forbidden to others Many have noticed the natural behavior of the town’s
inhabitants, despite the presence of numerous tourists Ragusa idolized freedom, for example the ship’s flag
being a mere flag with the inscription “Libertas” (freedom)

Comments 2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *